Lesson 17: The Lunar (Qamaria) and the Silent (Shamsia) Laams
The Lunar (Qamaria) Laam: it is an Alif with a Laam with Sukoon that means “The”. This precedes the nouns, and the Laam is pronounced clearly if it is not followed by a Shaddah but by any of the following letters: (ء ب غ ح ج ك و خ ف ع ق ي م هـ).
The Silent (Shamsia) Laam: the Laam is skipped when it is followed by Shaddah or any of the following 14 letters: (ط ث ص ر ت ض ن ذ د س ظ ز ش ل).
Lesson 17 - Explanation
- Recognize the shape of the Laam in the Quran.
- Know where the Lunar Laam and the Silent Laam appear in a word.
- Know that the Lunar and Silent Laam come at the beginning of the word.
Lesson 17 - Practice
- Know the difference between the Lunar Laam and the Silent laam.
- Pronounce both the Lunar and the Silent Laams correctly.
- Pronounce the Silent laam correctly in the case that the letter that comes before the Laam has a Harakah on it.
- Get to know the beauty of the sound of the Lunar Laam and Silent Laam.